banner-52
lefthomeaboutpastarchiveright

Letters

On 'Why I am not just an Indian'
He has not referred to the Komagata Maru incident specifically, when Canada was not so 'liberal' and fully aided the British imperialists.

But he should also ask himself, having Indian passport, did he just barge into Canada without any permits and lives there, or stays only on legal permission with valid documents—and also reveal to all. Saying high sounding things does not help or work.

We had multiple entry visas to the US but yet for even a short tourist visit to Canada we had to apply for and get regular Visas. Nissim should ask himself and also reveal to all whether these so-called 40 lakh illegal Bangladeshi immigrants ever applied for Indian visas, let alone getting it.

No country cannot tolerate or risk illegal immigrants—especially those belonging to fundamentalist and fanatic religions. World without borders may be a good ideal but not a reality of the day nor is it immediately achievable. One of the longstanding demands of the Assamese people's movement was driving out of these illegal immigrants both in the interests of the Assamese people and also in the interests of national security. The Assam Accord was officially struck—Rajiv Gandhi was a signatory to it—and it stipulated that all migrants without valid documents or fraudulently obtaining such documents are to be driven out and 1971 was fixed as the cut-off year. All this NRC and other measures were contemplated and initiated under the earlier Congress governments only but in the typical snail's pace the implementation was going on.

Hope it will be speeded up now. Those illegally barging into our country—especially Bangladeshi Muslims who did not apply for political or humanitarian asylum—should be driven out—pending that they should be given refugee status stripping them of franchise and other facilities due to Indian citizens. If needed they can be accorded all facilities due to refugees. Better transport them into refugee camps far away from both West Bengal and Assam and locate them somewhere in central India pending their deportation.

This should be very strictly and curtly applied at least from the cut-off year 1991. For those between 1971-91 one can be a bit more liberal.

This process should be legally initiated and expeditiously carried out in West Bengal also. Otherwise in the coming decades the entire Bengal (West and East) will become an inferno of Islamic Republic of 'Golden Bengal'!
This is not just an off the cuff and jocular statement but after due consideration I am passing these trenchant remarks and expressing these opinions with strong demands.
I Mallikarjuna Sharma, Advocate,
Editor, Law Animated World, Hyderabad

Crisis of Health Care Services in West Bengal
Health care services in West Bengal are recently in very much distressed situation and it has turned into a severe crisis for the suffering humanity as well as it is gradually becoming a constitutional crisis of the state.

Recent attack on health care professionals and their agitation against the state administration is not a new one. It is evident due to improper and inadequate and inaccessible infrastructural healthcare facilities healthcare professional are in troubles for a long time, and they have frequently been facing harassment and physically molestation by patient parties. But the administration is not listening to them. Health care professionals are more insecured and their services are dubiously under scanners. When their lives are under threat, how they could extend their hands for the cure of suffering souls.

The government is liable to provide security and services to all.
Harasankar Adhikari, Kolkata

From a well-wisher
You may be aware that I am incarcerated along with eight others in Yerawada Central Prison, Pune in so-called Bhima Koregaon cum Elgar Parishad case. For me it is more than 7 months and the first five are from 13 months.

On 27th June my wife brought Froniter issues of May 5-11, June 9-15 and June 16-22, 2019. After seven months this is first time I could see 'Frontier' and shocked to read in both the issues of June that TimirBasu is seriously ill and he is not in a position to communicate with contributors and subscribers. It sees alarming. I am very anxious about it. How can I help? Please inform without any hesitation to our people in Hyderabad how we can help him to recover.
Varavara Rao

Bhatpara
Bhatpara is the native place of traditional intellectuals. Late Lokenath Bhattacharya, a superb modern author was from Bhatpara. The place succumbed to the predatory culture of Jute capitalism symptomised by Arjun Singh. It's a tragedy that intellectuals from outside have to visit Bhatpara to preach peace.
Soumyabrata Guhathakurta, Kolkata

Back to Home Page

Frontier
Vol. 52, No. 6, Aug 11 - 17, 2019